Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Holy Shit, Rick Astley, I Have No Clue Why, But Apparently You are My Taco Theme-Song for the Day

                        from the Vegetarian Times


I was about to start writing this post today, when all of the sudden Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up" exploded into my cerebrum with megaphonic force. Apparently either my tacos are telepathically letting me know they're a fan of Mr. Astley, or even weirder, RICK ASTLEY IS LETTING ME TELEPATHICALLY KNOW HE IS A FAN OF THESE TACOS.

Fuck.

Either which way: I DISAGREE, MR. ASTLEY. I would gladly "give these up" and/or "let them down" and/or "run around and desert them."

They were NOT impressive. At all.

There were just WAY too many things wrong with these tacos.

Ok. No. I lied. There were THREE things wrong with these tacos.


#1: They were so boring they made my ears hurt.


#2: Though they didn't take TERRIBLY long to make, for the amount of effort it took to make them, they shouldn't've tasted NEARLY as boring as they did.


#3: The recipe says this makes four servings. Four tacos = four servings? Seriously?? Who considers just ONE taco to be a serving?!? Dude--I can polish off 4 to 8 tacos in one sitting with no problem. And I weigh 130 lbs. wet. One taco?? That's like dinner for my left nipple.


Point being, fuck Rick Astley. These babies are not worth your while.

Nonetheless, I post. Because I know there are some of you out there who trust Rick Astley's taco opinions over my own.

And for that, I say, VEGANMOFO!



ROASTED TOMATILLO AND BLACK BEAN TACOS



Tip: To prepare fresh tomatillos, strip off the husks and rinse under warm water to remove any sticky sap clinging to the skin.


INGREDIENTS:
  • 3/4 lb. fresh whole tomatillos, husks removed

  • 1 small onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (1 c.)

  • 1 small red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (1 c.)

  • 3 large cloves garlic, peeled

  • 3 T. coarsely chopped cilantro, divided

  • 1-1/2 t. minced jalapeño pepper

  • 1 c. canned black beans, rinsed and drained

  • Four 6-inch corn or flour tortillas, warmed

  • 1 small avocado, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices

  • 2 Tbs. queso fresco or feta cheese

  • 1/4 c. frozen corn kernels, thawed, optional

  • 1/4 cup low-fat (vegan) sour cream, optional

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to broil. Place oven rack 3 inches from heat source. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray, and spread tomatillos, onion, red bell pepper, and garlic on prepared baking sheet. Broil 12 minutes, or until tomatillos are blistered and charred, and onion and bell pepper are softened and charred, tossing once halfway through cooking time.

Pulse garlic, 1 Tbs. cilantro, jalapeño, and tomatillos 10 times in food processor, or until chunky. Season with salt and pepper.

Toss 1/4 cup tomatillo sauce with black beans, red bell pepper, and onion.

Fill tortillas with black bean mixture, and avocado. Garnish with remaining cilantro and corn kernels, if desired. Serve remaining tomatillo sauce and sour cream, if desired, on side.

(From The Veg Times)


These tacos have the Rick Astley Seal of Approval!

No comments: